What is the Disease?
Coronavirus disease 2019, or “COVID-19,” is an infection caused by a new strain of coronavirus, first identified in a cluster with pneumonia symptoms in late 2019 in the city of Wuhan, China. But it has spread quickly since then, and there are now cases in many other countries.
How is the virus transmitted?
- Novel Coronavirus strains are spread from person to person through contaminated droplets from a person who is infected with the virus (through coughing or sneezing) or contaminated hands.
- The virus can also spread through touching an infected surface.
- The incubation period extends from 1 to 14 days (that means the amount of time from being exposed to the virus to showing symptoms)
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Main symptoms of COVID-19 can include:
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Diarrhea and nausea
- Muscle ache
The majority of people with COVID-19 have uncomplicated or mild illness (about 80%). However, around 1 out of 6 patients (mainly those who are older or have other health problems) can become seriously ill and develop difficulty breathing.
Is there any treatment for COVID-19?
There is currently no specific treatment for coronavirus. Treatment aims to relieve the symptoms while your body fights the illness. If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, you’ll need to stay in isolation, away from other people, until you have recovered.
Is there a vaccine against the Novel coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Currently there is no available vaccine that protects against novel coronavirus.
What can I do to protect myself and prevent the spread of disease?
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Wash your hands:
- When hands are dirty
- After toilet use
- After coughing or sneezing
- When caring for the sick
- Before and after preparing / eating food
- When you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitizer gel if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Avoid close contact with others. Keep a distance of 2 meters between you and all other people
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Do not travel abroad due to the spread of COVID-19 globally, and follow the UAE law and recommendation regarding this issue.
* Always avoid social interactions and take social distancing measures